Ghana-Style Pound Cake
- Stand or Hand Mixer
- Baking Pans
- 3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups of Butter (4 Sticks)
- 2 Cups Granulated Sugar, You can reduce to 1 1/2 cups if you would like
- 6 Large Eggs
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Cup Milk (Evaporated or Whole/Cereal Milk)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF/177ºC/Gas Mark 4. Grease two 9″ x 5″ baking loaf pans and line them with parchment paper
- Grease parchment paper and flour the pans, set aside
- Combine all dry ingredients together in a bowl and set aside
- Beat the butter on medium speed for 5 minutes, depending on how soft the butter is prior to beating. If the butter is still hard, beat it for 10 minutes
- Add 1 cup of sugar to the butter and mix on low speed. Scraping the side of the bowl, add the additional 1 cup of sugar to the bowl and continue to mix.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, to the cream and make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl down
- Add the vanilla extract and continue to mix until it all comes together
- Slowly add half of the dry ingredients on low speed and continue to mix
- Add 1/2 cup of the milk and continue to mix on low speed
- Add the remaining half of the dry ingredients
- Add the rest of the milk and mix until well combined, making sure not to overmix!
- Gently divide the batter evenly in your pans
- Bake for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Once the cake is done, take it out of the oven. Leave it to cool in the pans for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, turn it over on a cooling rack. Serve when cooled with tea, ice cream, chilled Coke/Fanta, etc.
- To store the cakes: wrap them with cling film/cling wrap and leave them in a cool place. You can also refrigerate/freeze it but to be honest, the cakes do not last in my house so we do not refrigerate them! We just leave it out and cut "small small" anytime we walk by it. 😂😂
Once you put the cake inside the oven, DO NOT open the oven until 45 after. If you open the oven to “check” on the cake, your cake will sink.