Ghana-Style Pound Cake - Version 2
- Stand or Hand Mixer
- Baking Pans
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 5 Eggs Room temperature
- 1 Cup Butter Room temperature
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1⁄4 – 1⁄2 Cup Milk I prefer Evaporated Milk but you can use Whole Milk (Cereal Milk) as well.
- Preheat oven to 320ºF/160ºC/Gas Mark 3. Grease baking pan and line them with parchment paper. Grease parchment paper, flour the pan, and set aside.
- Beat the butter on medium speed for 5 minutes, depending on how soft the butter is prior to beating. If the butter is still hard, beat it for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of sugar to the butter and mix on low speed. Scraping the side of the bowl, add the additional 1 cup of sugar to the bowl and continue to mix
- Add the eggs, one at a time, to the cream, and make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl
- Add the vanilla extract and continue to mix until it all comes together
- Slowly add one cup of flour, on low speed, and continue to mi
- Add the Baking Powder and Nutmeg and continue to mix
- Add the milk and continue to mix on low speed
- Add the last cup of flour and mix well
- Gently divide the batter evenly in your pans
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean
- Once the cake is done, take it out of the oven. Leave it to cool in the pans for 15 minutes
- After 15 minutes, turn it over on a cooling rack. Serve when cooled with tea, ice cream, chilled Coke, etc.
- To store the cakes: leave them in an air-tight container or wrap them with cling/plastic wrap!
Once you put the cake inside the oven, DO NOT open the oven until 45 after. If you open the oven to “check” on the cake, your cake will sink.